Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Dress for the Wedding

What a whirlwind week it was last week. I drove from So Cal to just south of Ft. Worth arriving in 19 hours. I was surprised myself, but glad that I wasn't on the road for the 24 hours that I had planned on. There was hardly time to do anything but run here and there making sure that all of the decorations for the church would work, finding enough food to make sure that all of the out of town guests would have something to eat and just tying up all of the loose ends that are always there for special events like the wedding.

It was a wonderful 73 degrees the day of the wedding and I must admit that I was second guessing my choice of stretch velvet for my dress when I was fanning myself to stay cool during the wedding. The pattern, Butterick 5280, turned out to be a great pattern. I decided to do a FBA just to make sure that it would fit better and not so tight even though it was designed to fit snuggly and I was glad that I had. An adjustment for square shoulders and adding to the length were the only other adjustments that I had to make.

After making the FBA I remember reading on someone's blog about the two sides of a wrap top not matching after making that adjustment and then showing the solution. I finally found the information here: http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/adjusting-for-a-full-bust-on-a-wrap-top/, followed the directions and it worked perfectly. All that being said, I will be making this pattern again as it fit great and was really comfortable.


This is my niece, Kristen and her new husband, Wil. The only reason I am in this picture is because I capitulated and agreed to be my sister's gofer for the wedding. It was fun and we had a great time.

We are now stuck in Texas as the weather it the big news here. Freezing rain, sleet and icy roads are all over the area until sometime this afternoon so we are sitting tight in front of the fire until things warm up a bit.

2 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

What a nice picture. Sounds like it was a perfect day.

Nancy Winningham said...

i can't get your picture to open any larger, but what I can see looks great. I'm glad the dress worked out for you.