Tuesday, August 5, 2008

LET THE SEWING BEGIN

As my energy begins to return I thought I should make myself do some sewing. Being able to fit myself (the nightmare that it is) didn't fit into the present energy scenario so I decided to make the DGD a little dress. The dress straight off of the pattern fits her just great which makes it such a pleasure to sew for her.

I chose fabric that I already had in my fabric closet (would you believe it once served as table cloths for a bridal shower YEARS ago!) and thought that the blue would be a great color for her. The pattern is Butterick 4680

As you can see, I just made the sleeveless version without a cape. The dress is turning out cuter that I expected. I was just drawn to the dress because it had a purse to go with it and DGD LOVES purses so I always try to include a matching purse with each dress.

This is the state of the dress as of today - needs a zipper, hemming both the dress and lining, button and botton hole for the belt on the back and fine tune the bow.


The dress seemed a little plain and I was wondering what I could do to spruce it up a bit. I remembered a thread on SG that talked about appleannie and her wonderful piping and thought I might give it a try. Although not perfect, I was pleased with how it turned out. I had never basted the cord inside the bias tape before sewing it before, but I must admit that taking the time was well worth it.

This was a kind fun dress because of the lining with netting ruffle that makes the dress stand out from the body. Do you think it just brings back memories of the crinoline era?
Despite what the pictures shows - it is even! Hopefully I will have it completed by tonight and can show you the completed version.

Just a few pictures of outfits on the internet that I think have some great style.


This is an outfit from Neiman Marcus - I love the jacket.

A jacket from Burda 7764 that is really classy.

This is an Oscar de la Renta that is shown on Neiman Marcus. An interesting combination of fabrics for sure but I was drawn to it after seeing the yellow beauty knitted by Ann Rowley on SG.

This is another Neiman's suit that has a great use of trimmings. I am such a sucker for black and white that there was an immediate bond when I saw this pic.

Well, before I can sew I need to help DD get her classroom finished as she reports for duty on Monday. I always look forward to the first weeks of August and spending the fun time with her getting ready for the students. It's a great way to be creative - if you can get the out-of-the-box ideas past the principal.

No comments: