Friday, April 3, 2009

One More

We are leaving for the last of the memorials for the plane crash victims. What a hard two weeks it has been for sure. On the positive side, there is great comfort in grieving with your friends and loved ones. Somehow you come back a little stronger and able to face life one day at a time. I am so glad for the hope of another grand reunion!

I finally put a couple more pieces of fabric through the washer and dryer in anticipation of really hitting the sewing machine on Monday...I only have to churn out 2 1/4 garments each week to finish on time for the SWAP. I'm thinking that the busyness of getting it done will be a great mind relief and I'm looking forward to it.

While at Hancock's one day I saw this great piece of fabric - rather like candy apple green or maybe chartreuse that was labeled as silky wool but on the selvage it had Donnegal Linen Ireland. I asked the help just exactly what the fabric was and of course they had no idea. It was really pretty so I bought it anyway. Well, before deciding how to pre-wash it I decided to do the burn test and cut a piece to wash and dry. The burn test indicated that it was actually polyester and the test piece that was washed and dried showed no shrinage whatsoever. Not what I thought but it is still pretty and I'll just have to figure out what to make from it.

Next week, I am looking to buy a coverstitch machine and have seen the Janome 1000 demonstrated. For the price, I guess it is a pretty good machine, although I wasn't totally sold on the stitch it made. Had thought about a commercial machine but just don't have the room. Any ideas about coverstich machines?

No comments: