Tuesday, July 29, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!!!! 5.4 or 5.8?

I had just left the house to drive to check on our rental house. As I pulled up to the stoplight and waited for the red light my SUV started rocking back and forth. I looked around and at the car next to me thinking that it might be a souped up car that rattles everything within 50 yards of it when at a stoplight but it didn't seem to be that problem. My car rocked and rolled for the entire length of the red light and I was relieved to get going.

After crossing the intersection I pulled to the curb to use my cell phone (you know we have a new law that we can only talk on hands free phones while driving now! and I haven't gotten a headpiece yet - does anyone making the laws know what mothers do when driving their kids around?) and when I stopped my car was still rocking from side to side. This had to have lasted for 30-40 seconds. I tried calling my daughter for another matter and the call would not go through. Only when I finally reached her did I find out that the problem had been an earthquake. We are very happy that the dishes are still in the hutch, mirrors, clocks, and pictures are still attached to the walls and all of the food is still in the cabinets and most of all we are all safe.

Life is back to normal, well, sorta, because every movement that you're not expecting stops your heart for just a moment until you confirm that it's an okay movement and not the dreaded earthquake movement. We're going to be okay.

No comments: