Friday, September 5, 2008

FIXIN DA BONE

From James:

Considering I'd only done it once before in my life, it's hard to believe that this is the third time this month I'm slicing open a thigh. This one should be the hardest one to date.

Abel helps me stretch a sticky, yellow plastic covering over the thigh where we'll cut to try and get to the unhealed femur. As I poise with the scalpel over the now yellow window of thigh in the surgical field the first two cases flash through my mind.

The first was a large man hit by a motorcycle two years ago. His twin brother came to our hospital for some other reason and then asked me if I could do anything for his brother whose leg had healed badly leaving him crippled hobbling around with the aid of a crutch thanks to his now shortened right leg. Surprisingly, the traditional method of bone setting hadn't worked leaving him only with a circomferential scar where they had attached a cord too tightly.

Maybe it was the twin angle, but I told him to have his brother see me when I'd be in N'Djamena next. Sure enough he showed up with several sets of xrays showing his femur shortened by 4 cm and angled at about 25 degrees. It was well healed though. When he came to Bere I was able to break the two fragments apart and then put him in traction to pull it out to length. He's been here for a month now.

The second was an 8 year old girl referred by the first patient. In fact, she was his niece or something, also with a right femur fracture 3 months old due to a motorcycle hitting her. Basically the same procedure and she's been here for a couple weeks now. She also ended up with malaria needing a blood transfusion. She is stoic and looks me directly in the eyes every time I do rounds lifting out her hand solemnly for the obligatory greeting and exchange of "Ca va's". I look forward to seeing her every day.

As I slice through the yellow plastic, the black skin and the light yellow fat turning quickly red with blood, I think again that this one won't be as easy...

Again another call came to me while I was in N'Djamena last week saying he also had heard that we'd operated successfully on two of his relatives with right femur fractures and he hoped we could do the same for him who had the same problem. Yep, the right femur broken by a motorcycle hitting him while he was riding a bicycle.

As I held up the xrays in the faint rays of light filtering through the slats of the ER windows I could tell instantly that this was complicated. The two fragments of the femur were separated by about 4-5 cms with a separate fragment also to the side and no evidence of any type of callous or new bone formation anywhere. It was a year already after the accident. His fracture had also been an open fracture with a draining would for 3 months before it closed. As I looked again at the thigh I saw the healed scars from where the bone shard had pierced the skin. As I picked up his leg I found he had an extra joint mid-thigh. I could move his lower leg in all for directions without his hip moving at all. Not good!

I cut through the fascia and the red muscle wells up into the wound as Abel retracts. As I continue down through the muscle, I see the fibers twitch and retract. I hit some nice arteries and scramble to clamp them off. I call for a suture and tie off the bleeders. I can feel the proximal fragment of bone with a muscle spilling over it down into a cavity where the other bone has to be somewhere. I keep digging until I find the distal part of the femur. There is about 2 inches of muscle and a ton of scar tissue all around. I try to free it up with various instruments: scalpel, scissors, periosteal elevators and various others. I get into part of the scar tissue that has walled off some yellow inflammatory liquid like a cyst. It is clear though and happily doesn't look infected. The distal part just doesn't want to free itself.

I'm kind of a little nervous as I know somewhere around the back or medial side of that deep bone are the big arteries and veins that supply the leg. I don't want to have to resort to a Celox miracle again.

I have the scar tissue freed up superiorly, medially and laterally, but behind the bone I just can't seem to get to it. Finally, I find some dangerous looking pincher-like instrument and manage to grasp the fragment and pull it up enough to cut off the scar tissue keeping it from moving.

I then grab some Rongeurs and start ripping and tearing and biting and cracking off pieces of calloused bone over the two unhealed ends. Finally, I'm down to pretty fresh, raw, bleeding bone. Klevin and Gabrielle have been taking turns putting some traction on the foot and now I really have them tug with all they've got. The bones are still overlapped by a centimeter. I wedge in a chisel and with my prying and the boys' pulling the distal part finally slips over the proximal and meshes together with all the sharp edges left after my gnawing at them.

As Klevin and Gabrielle maintain tension on the leg I suture closed the fascias and the skin and place a sterile dressing.

I then take out a sterile, threaded pin about 20cm long and put one end into a very not sterile cordless drill. I make a small incision on the skin over the tibia and pull the trigger. The pin barely moves, the battery is weak. It makes it a few millimeters into the bone before conking out completely. I ask for the other battery. It is even deader since the charger hasn't been plugged in. I try an old rusty hand drill. Doesn't move at all. Finally, I send Gabrielle to my house to get another cordless drill. After a long five minutes he's back and I drill through the bone, nick the skin on the other side and let the pin work it's way halfway through before detaching the drill. I then attach a U-shaped wire onto it so we can attach a bag of sand to work as traction to keep the leg out to length.



After transferring him from the OR to his bed and attaching the sand bag, I do the final manoeuver, I put two empty Ceftriaxone vials over the sharp edges of the pin, make sure the legs are the same length and go home.

No comments: