Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fabrics

Well, yesterday I needed a fabric field trip and so I headed into LA to finally visit at least one of the fabric stores that I keep reading about, F & S on W. Pico. I don't know if it is the gas prices or just what, but I made it to LA in just over an hour and with no traffic, well, except minor slowing on the 10 to Santa Monica. Unheard of.

I have a piece of silk dupioni that I have been trying to find a coordinating fabric for for the June Capsule Contest and thought I would have no problem in LA. The dear little lady at F & S was so helpful and we scoured the store looking for just the right piece of fabric. They all seemed too pink or too yellow with nothing seeming "just right". She suggested that I go over to International Silk and Woolens to see if they might have a fabric that would work.

It had been over a year ago that I was at this store and even then was just there to buy a notion and not fabric. I did remember looking at some beautiful shirt fabric and thinking I would get back to get some. That didn't happen though. Anyway, upon entering the store there was a sales lady with a headscarf who asked if she could help me. I pulled my fabric out of the bag and told her what I was attempting to do and what I thought I needed. She went right over to some linen/silk blend and pulled out this gorgeous piece of fabric that matched perfectly. I was so impressed and loved it. After looking at a few more pieces of fabric I was at the point of making the decision to purchase when I thought I should see what this fabric looked like on me...good thing I did...it looked absolutely horrible on me! even the sales lady agreed so you know it was bad.

No comments: