Thursday, June 19, 2008

It Was to Be a Simple Scarf!

The electric company promised to turn on the electricity to one of the temporarily vacant rentals so we could keep the lawn watered in this 100+ heat but they couldn't give an exact time, just some time between 8 a.m and 5 p.m. Sounds like a fun day of just waiting?!?!?! but I wasn't realy bothered because I thought that I would just whip out my scarf accessory for the JCC over at SG. Well, that was yesterday and it is now 11:15 p.m. the next day and I am just now finishing the hand rolled hem on a 36 x 36+ scarf.



I love hand work for some insane reason and was looking forward to a relaxing time. By noon yesterday I was kicking myself for not signing up for Susan Khalje's hand stitches class at PR. It was always something that I was "gonna" do.

After completing one side and was started on the next I decided to look on the internet once again to see if there were any more instructions that would make this process go faster. I think it was seeing a tutorial with pictures at Pins and Needles on hand stitches that showed me that I was most likely trying to sew these tiny little stiches backwards and upside down. So.....

I stopped mid stream and turned it all around and started going the other way and would you believe that it started to actually work. Being a silk fabric it was still slippery to work with and the process took longer. It is hard to see in these pics but the fabric has something like burnout areas in the fabric where you can see right through and when that part is turned under to hem there are fuzzy edges to that burnout area that were hard to make sure they were caught in the hemming.



So I'm happy that I learned another skill and thrilled that I now have completed one piece of my capsule!

This is a rather washed out picture of a sample of wonderful silk that I got on my trek to LA on Tuesday from ISW. It looks great with the scarf but I'm really not a great brown person.


Think I will start the dress for the capsule tomorrow. Only four more garments. ;-]

No comments: