Saturday, June 14, 2008


Smoke looming over Neal Rd


Not much sewing going on for me these last couple of days. Our beloved town of Paradise, CA where we lived for 25+ years and raised our kids has been under severe fire attack since Wednesday night. As of Saturday afternoon 70+ homes have been destroyed and 20 more damaged. These include the homes of dear friends, families of our kids friends, physicians, and coworkers.

While living in Paradise, it was always a concern that something like this might happen, but whenever there was a threat to the town it was always avoided. There have been several 5:00 a.m. wake-up door knocks from the sheriff telling up to pack up the vehicles for evacuation but our homes were always saved. I had hoped that that would be the case this time too, but sadly, that wasn't going to happen.

The first time we packed up was the hardest because I didn't have a clue, other than pictures and important papers, of what to take. I finally was able to narrow my valuables down to, as already stated, pictures, and important papers, some clothes for the interim, computer, sewing machine and serger (in case I had to either provide clothes for the family or make an interim living). The final thing I always put in the car was my recipe box. My reasoning was that if everything that said to my kids "home" was lost, if when they walked in the door to unfamiliar sights and furniture at the least the familiar "smells" of their favorite foods would tell them that they were indeed home.

The wonderful thing about Paradise is that the community family will rally around those with losses great and small and help them rebuild, both materially and emotionally, and hold them close as they heal.

My heart is so sad tonight.

No comments: